[Python-Dev] Compiling Python 3.2 on Cygwin fails

Dan Stromberg drsalists at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 21:41:33 CEST 2011

On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 12:18 PM, Brian Curtin <brian.curtin at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 14:12, Dan Stromberg <drsalists at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 7:25 AM, David Robinow <drobinow at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>>  Cygwin is not really a supported platform.

>>> [Ultimately somebody with an
>>> interest in cygwin will need to get active in python development. I've
>>> been meaning to do this but life gets in the way.]
>>>

>> I was bitten by the lack of Cygwin support in 3.2 as well.
>>
>> IMO,  python-dev needs continuous integration on a build farm that
>> includes representative platforms.  Most of the machines in the farm could
>> be virtualboxes.
>>
>> I don't think the problem is so much that the right people haven't gotten
>> involved, as that the currently-involved people don't know when they're
>> breaking something for someone else due to the lack of continuous
>> integration.
>>

> We've had that for some time now: http://www.python.org/dev/buildbot/

Good to know.  Apologies for my incorrect assumption.  Where do the e-mail
notifications of build and/or test failures go?

Shouldn't Cygwin be represented here?  I don't see it in the list of builds.

Some shops have a policy that nothing gets merged into trunk unless it's
passing critical automated tests...  Would that work here?

There are several issues on the bug tracker about cygwin build issues, but
> to my knowledge, none of them have included successful patches.

I think you'll find that most people using Cygwin would rather be working on
some other OS, but are forced to use Windows for policy reasons.  It's
remains a rather significant need in many cases.

How does the buildbot initiate builds?  ssh?  Happily Cygwin mostly allows
sshd (as long as you don't need a CIFS share or something).

Native Windows builds do appear to be represented.  Is there any reason not
to set up a buildbot for Cygwin on the same (virtual?) hardware?

I'm inclined to believe that whoever rearranged the shared object stuff in
CPython 3.x's build system would've been more careful if they'd had feedback
about what it was doing to Cygwin.