[Python-Dev] PEP 397 (Python launcher for Windows) reference implementation

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jul 5 01:19:39 CEST 2011

One more thing about associations - we've got pyw.exe for Python.NoConFile
and py.exe for Python.file, but how do we handle Python.CompiledFile? It
doesn't really make sense to have the association not handled by the launcher.
Unfortunately, of course, both pyw and py compile to pyo, so we don't know
which launcher to use. It is, of course, easy for either py or pyw to
determine which version of python is to be used to invoke a .pyc - just not
which Windows variant.

BTW just as a test I implemented .pyc support in the C implementation - it
works fine apart from the "python.exe or pythonw.exe?" question.

Regards,

Vinay Sajip