[Python-Dev] fcmp() in test.support

Eli Bendersky eliben at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 20:59:23 CET 2011

>> I'm working on improving the .rst documentation of test.support (Issue
>> 11015), and came upon the undocumented "fcmp" function that's being
>> exported from test.support, along with a "FUZZ"constant.

The documentation of the test module clearly states right at the top:

""
Note

The test package is meant for internal use by Python only. It is
documented for the benefit of the core developers of Python. Any use
of this package outside of Python’s standard library is discouraged as
code mentioned here can change or be removed without notice between
releases of Python.
""

Given that disclaimer, I don't think it's a bad idea to document more
parts of test.support. People adding new tests should be aware of some
of the tools that already exist there, and only some of which are
documented. Just my 2c here.

Maybe Nick will want to chip in here since he opened issue 11015.

Eli