[Python-Dev] getting stable URLs for major.minor versions

Fred Drake fdrake at acm.org
Thu Jan 27 22:16:59 CET 2011

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 3:38 PM, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
> Linking to the 2.7.0 release page seems off since it is
> out of date, but linking to 2.7.1 also seems silly as that will become
> out of date as the newest release of Python 2.7 at some point as well.

I'd love to see something like this as well.  Part of the problem is
that when we want URLs to specific versions (which might even mean
2.7.0), we use the version number as released, and... there's really
not a 2.7.0.  I'd love for us to include ".0" in the actual release
number, instead of calling it just 2.7.  Then we could much more
easily handle this for docs, downloads, and anywhere else we want to
multi-plex multiple versions.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.    <fdrake at acm.org>
"A storm broke loose in my mind."  --Albert Einstein