[Python-Dev] Beta version of the new devguide

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Sun Jan 23 21:22:41 CET 2011

On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 23:56, Mark Summerfield <list at qtrac.plus.com> wrote:
> Hi Brett,
>
> On Sat, 22 Jan 2011 17:08:00 -0800
> Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
>> http://docs.python.org/devguide/
>
> Personally, I found the first paragraph of "Contributing" a bit
> off-putting.
>
> How about replacing:
>
>    People who wish to contribute to Python must read the following
>    documents in the order provided. You can stop where you feel
>    comfortable and begin contributing immediately without reading and
>    understanding these documents all at once, but please do not skip
>    around within the documentation as everything is written assuming
>    preceding documentation has been read.
>
> With something like:
>
>    The Python core development team always welcomes new contributors,
>    so we are very glad of your interest! Please read the following
>    documents---in the order shown---to ensure that you understand how
>    Python's development process works. This will ensure that your
>    contributions are considered purely on their merit and don't get
>    rejected due to missing or incorrectly performing a step in the
>    process.

I'll see what I can do.

> In "Getting Set Up" it describes how to build a pydebug build. Is that
> really necessary for those who plan only to contribute by working on
> pure Python code?

Yes, there is actually a laundry list of reasons even people only
working on the stdlib should use a pydebug build.

> I had a quick skim over the rest and got the feeling that no clear
> distinction is made between C and Python work. Personally, I feel that
> more of a distinction should be made since not everyone will be
> confident or interested in C. (And maybe more distinction should be made
> between working on CPython and the standard library?)

I don't see where the distinction between extensions and Python code
would serve a purpose beyond clouding the documents by adding more
details. People who know both are fine and the people who don't can
start off ignorant and work there way up.

As for CPython/Python distinction, they are so intertwined at the
moment that the distinction is once again not worth it beyond what I
have already done. When the stdlib is separated from CPython then the
delineation of one over will become worth it.

> Overall I think this document is *extremely welcome* and I am very glad
> you have done it. I'm sure that once it starts to get known it will help
> add to the pool of people contributing to Python as well as helping to
> keep the processes clear:-)

=) That's the hope.

-Brett