[Python-Dev] Import and unicode: part two

Atsuo Ishimoto ishimoto at gembook.org
Fri Jan 21 16:07:04 CET 2011

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 5:45 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen at xemacs.org> wrote:
> Nick Coghlan writes:
>  > On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 3:44 PM, Atsuo Ishimoto <ishimoto at gembook.org> wrote:
>
>  > > I don't want Python to encourage people to use non-ascii module names.
>
> I don't think anybody is *encouraging* it.  The argument is for
> *permitting* it, partly for consistency with other identifiers, and
> partly because of Python's usual "consenting adults" standard for
> permitting "dangerous" practices.

I'm sorry, I was not clear. I was afraid that saying "learning
opportunity" tempt people to try non-ASCII module names.
In these days, even non technical people have access to Windows, Mac
and Linux boxes at a time. So chances to be annoyed with broken
non-ASCII named files are pretty common.

> I still don't see this as a reason to give up on non-ASCII module
> names.  Just have the documentation warn that many non-ASCII names
> will be non-portable, so use on multiple systems will require care
> (maybe gloss that with "probably more care than you want to take").

Nice gloss.

--
Atsuo Ishimoto
Mail: ishimoto at gembook.org