[Python-Dev] [Python-checkins] r88127 - in python/branches/py3k/Misc: README.AIX README.OpenBSD cheatsheet

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Thu Jan 20 21:37:14 CET 2011

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 12:09, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:
> brett.cannon wrote:
>> Author: brett.cannon
>> Date: Thu Jan 20 20:34:35 2011
>> New Revision: 88127
>>
>> Log:
>> Remove some outdated files from Misc.
>>
>> Removed:
>>    python/branches/py3k/Misc/README.AIX
>
> Are you sure that the AIX README is outdated ? It explains some
> of the details of why there are scripts like ld_so_aix which are
> still needed on AIX.

I asked earlier if anyone thought they were not and no one spoke up.
Same goes for README.OpenBSD.

>>    python/branches/py3k/Misc/README.OpenBSD
>
> Same here. Does OpenBSD 4.x still have the issues mentioned in the
> file.
>
>>    python/branches/py3k/Misc/cheatsheet
>
> Wouldn't it be better to update this useful file (as part of your
> PSF grant) ? Most of it still applies to Py3.

That file was not even updated to cover context managers and the
'with' keyword so it's been outdated for years and for at least a
couple of releases now. If no one has cared to update it for the last
two releases of Python 2.x I don't see a point in my spending time
doing an update, especially considering it is a duplicate of official
docs which is just asking for maintenance trouble.

> Regarding some other things you removed or moved:
>
>> D    SVN-Python3/Misc/maintainers.rst
>> D    SVN-Python3/Misc/developers.txt
>
> Why were these removed from the source archive ? They are useful
> to have around for users wanting to report bugs and are useful
> to follow the development of the core team between different
> Python versions.

They are in the devguide now.

>> D    SVN-Python3/Misc/python-mode.el
>
> Why is this gone ? It's a useful file for Emacs users and usually
> more recent than what you get with your Emacs installation.

Barry removed that (I think) two months ago; I was simply updating the
README to reflect the actual state of the directory.

>> D    SVN-Python3/Misc/AIX-NOTES
>
> I guess this was renamed to README.AIX before you removed it.
> See above.
>
>> D    SVN-Python3/Misc/PURIFY.README
>
> Why is this outdated ?
> Should probably be renamed to README.Purify.

Because Barry said it was considering it contained an email that has
not worked in a decade.

>> D    SVN-Python3/Misc/RFD
>
> That's a piece of Python history. These nuggets should stay
> in the Python source archive, IMHO.

Once again, it was already not there and this is just a cleanup of the
file; I didn't delete it.

>> D    SVN-Python3/Misc/setuid-prog.c
>
> This is useful for people writing setuid programs in Python and
> avoids many of the usual pitfalls:

Another cleanup of the file.

-Brett