[Python-Dev] Import and unicode: part two

Simon Cross hodgestar+pythondev at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 13:08:20 CET 2011

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 5:01 PM, Simon Cross
<hodgestar+pythondev at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 2:34 PM, Victor Stinner
> <victor.stinner at haypocalc.com> wrote:
>>  (a) Python 3 doesn't support non-ASCII module names
>
> -0: I'm vaguely against this being supported because I'd rather not
> have to deal with what happens when the guess regarding the filesystem
> encoding is wrong. On the other hand, a general encouragement to stick
> to ASCII module names is probably functionally equivalent without
> imposing a hard restriction.

I'm changing my vote on this to a +1 for two reasons:

* Initially I thought this wasn't supported by Python at all but I see
that currently it is supported but that support is broken (or at least
limited to UTF-8 filesystem encodings). Since support is there, might
as well make it better (especially if it tidies up the code base at
the same time).

* I still don't think it's a good idea to give modules non-ASCII names
but the "consenting adults" approach suggests we should let people
shoot themselves in the foot if they believe they have good reason to
do so.

Schiavo
Simon