[Python-Dev] Import and unicode: part two

Glenn Linderman v+python at g.nevcal.com
Thu Jan 20 06:19:08 CET 2011

On 1/19/2011 9:11 PM, Glyph Lefkowitz wrote:

> On Jan 20, 2011, at 12:02 AM, Glenn Linderman wrote:
>
>> But for local code, having to think up an ASCII name for a module
>> rather than use the obvious native-language name, is just
>> brain-burden when creating the code.
>
> Is it really?  You already had to type 'import', presumably if you can
> think in Python you can think in ASCII.

There is a difference between memorizing and typing keywords, and
inventing new names in non-native scripts.  It is hard to even invent
all the names in one's native language; if restricted to inventing them,
even some of them, in some non-native script such as ASCII, it is just
brain-burden indeed.

> (After my experiences with namespace crowding in Twisted, I'm inclined
> to suggest something more like "import
> m_07117FE4A1EBD544965DC19573183DA2 as café" - then I never need to
> worry about "café2" looking ugly or "cafe" being incompatible :).)

Now if the stuff after m_ was the hex UTF-8 of  "café", that could get
interesting :)  But now you are talking about automating the creation of
ASCII file names from the actual non-ASCII names of the modules, or
something.  Sadly, the module is not required to contain its name, so if
it differs from the filename, some global view or non-Python annotation
would be required to create/maintain the mapping.  [This paragraph is
only semi-serious, like yours.]