[Python-Dev] Import and unicode: part two

Glenn Linderman v+python at g.nevcal.com
Wed Jan 19 21:19:46 CET 2011

On 1/19/2011 11:31 AM, Victor Stinner wrote:
> If we decide to reject non-ASCII module names, it should be done on any
> operating systems, not only on Windows.

Since Python allows non-ASCII variable names, I think it should allow
non-ASCII module names also, on any platform that supports the
appropriate characters in the filesystem.

Since some platforms already accept them, dropping them would be
incompatible.

If Victor already has a patch coded (i.e. the work is basically done, no
waiting in line 3), I'm even more in favor of it.  If it took lots of
future hard work, and no one volunteered to do it, that would perhaps be
justification for retaining module name restrictions.  I guess that is
not the case here, so...

+1  on supporting full Unicode module names on all platforms.