[Python-Dev] "unit test needed"

Eli Bendersky eliben at gmail.com
Mon Jan 10 20:11:23 CET 2011

> I would like to advocate again for the removal of the "unit test
> needed" stage on the tracker, which regularly confuses our triagers
> into thinking it's an actual requirement or expectation from
> contributors and bug reporters.

Perhaps a different wording would be preferred to removal. Suppose a
reviewer accepts a patch but asks for a test before committing it. If it's
hidden in the issue discussion, only those involved in the issue are aware
of the situation. If it's in the issue state, then other potential
contributors may notice it and provide tests. IMHO tests are simpler and
less "scary" for newbies making their first steps in CPython.

Eli