[Python-Dev] Possible optimization for LOAD_FAST ?

Cesare Di Mauro cesare.di.mauro at gmail.com
Mon Jan 3 07:45:20 CET 2011

2011/1/1 Ned Batchelder <ned at nedbatchelder.com>

>  On 12/31/2010 12:51 PM, Cesare Di Mauro wrote:
>
> "Aggressive" optimizations can be enabled with explicit options, in order
> to leave normal "debugger-prone" code.
>
> I wish the Python compiler would adopt a strategy of being able to disable
> optimizations.  I wrote a bug about a "leaky abstraction" optimization
> messing up coverage testing 2.5 years ago, and it was closed as won't fix:
> http://bugs.python.org/issue2506.  The debate there centered around, "but
> that line isn't executed, because it's been optimized away."  It's common in
> sophisticated compilers (as in, any C compiler) to be able to choose whether
> you want optimizations for speed, or disabling optimizations for debugging
> and reasoning about the code.  Python would benefit from the same choice.
>
>   --Ned.

Command line parameters and/or environment variables are suitable for this,
but they aren't immediate and, also, have global effect.

I wish an explicit ("Explicit is better than implicit") and a finer control
over optimizations, with a per-module usage:

from __compiler__ import disable_peepholer, strict_syntax, static_builtins,
globals_as_fasts

Cesare