[Python-Dev] hg extensions was Mercurial conversion repositories

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Feb 27 19:20:04 CET 2011

>> I think this is overly optimistic. Visual Studio will break all your
>> files if you don't use that extension (and you actually use it to
>> modify source code).
>
> My assumption was that most developers don't use MSVC, so most of them
> don't risk breaking eols ;)
> True, for Windows devs it might be necessary to promote it.

If I change code on Windows, I always use MSVC to edit it. It's best
integrated with the build process and the debugger. If I change Python
code on Windows, I use vim or IDLE.

Different MSVC releases took different approaches wrt. LF-separated
files. For a long time, new lines added would be CRLF, whereas existing
line endings would remain unchanged, resulting in a mix of line endings.
It appears that VS 2008 now uniformly converts the entire file to CRLF
on first edit.

Regards,
Martin