[Python-Dev] Mercurial conversion repositories

Adrian Buehlmann adrian at cadifra.com
Sun Feb 27 02:15:51 CET 2011

On 2011-02-27 01:50, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> On Feb 26, 2011, at 11:45 PM, Adrian Buehlmann wrote:
>
>> You'd have to take this up with Mercurial's BDFL Matt. He is a strong
>> advocate for teaching users to learn edit their .hg/hgrc files.
>
> Well, I guess it's doubtful I'd change his mind then. :)

Yep.

>> Regarding Bazaar: FWIW, I periodically retried the speed of 'bzr check'
>> - and always gave up again looking at bzr due to the horrible slowness
>> of that command. If I have to use a DVCS I want to be able to check the
>> integrity of my clones in reasonable time. I do it with a cron job on
>> our internal server here and I expect it to have finished checking all
>> our repos when I get to my desk in the morning and look into my email
>> inbox, reading the daily email with the result of the verify runs.
>>
>> After all, we do have everything secured with hashes, so we can use
>> them, don't we?
>
> Do you know how thorough 'bzr check' is?  I don't, but then I've never used it
> or felt the need to. ;)

That's quite amazing. If I talk with people about that, it often turns
out that they don't check the integrity of their repos.

Well, hg verify *is* through and fast enough. That's good enough for me.

And being slow is not sufficient to earn my trust.

FWIW, be aware that Mercurial does not do integrity checks on normal
operations, so chances are you will be able to use a repo that fails
verify for quite a while -- without even noticing it.

For example you can remove *some* file X inside .hg/store/data and
continue to add history to that repo without any sign of errors, as long
as the file X isn't used during the operations you do.