[Python-Dev] pymigr: Ask for hgeol-checking hook.

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sat Feb 26 19:05:50 CET 2011

Am 26.02.2011 18:54, schrieb Antoine Pitrou:
> On Sat, 26 Feb 2011 18:48:17 +0100
> martin.v.loewis <python-checkins at python.org> wrote:
>>  * some hook should prevent pushing python files indented by tabs.
>>  * some hook should prevent pushing to the 2.x trunk.
>> +* some hook should prevent breaking EOL conventions.
>
> We don't have such hook in SVN, why would we need one with Mercurial ?

In subversion, it's a builtin feature of subversion (svn:eol-style);
subversion will automatically convert all files correctly (if
svn:eol-style is specified correctly, which it is, for most of the
files).

In Mercurial, it's just a hook, and optional. So we can't be sure all
users use it correctly - and in my (limited) experience with Mercurial,
chances are high that users will make mistakes in that respect (i.e.
in one out of one cross-platform projects, a committer had issues
with CRLF, leading to catastrophic repository corruption).

So I think it's absolutely necessary that files with incorrect
eol-style are blocked from being pushed. Or else we will all
suffer and eventually die :-)

Regards,
Martin