[Python-Dev] Finding buildbot failures

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Sat Feb 26 14:16:33 CET 2011

On 25/02/2011 19:00, exarkun at twistedmatrix.com wrote:
> On 06:47 pm, fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk wrote:
>> On 25/02/2011 18:10, Vinay Sajip wrote:
>>> What's the easiest way of finding which tests failed on buildbot
>>> builds? I mean,
>>> is there anything easier than using the Web interface to browse to
>>> failing
>>> builds and then looking at the stdio output in a browser?
>>
>> That's one of the big advantages that Jenkins (nee Hudson) has over
>> buildbot - drilling down into individual test failures through the
>> web ui. Your test run needs to generate appropriate xml for that to
>> work though.
>
> Buildbot can do this too.  It can even do it without xml, although it
> does need *some* parseable format, which I think the Python test suite
> is a long way from.

That would be a great improvement to the Python buildbot infrastructure.
(Probably a bit small for a GSOC project on its own.) I've had great
success using pyjunitxml to generate Hudson compatible reports from
unittest test runs (extremely easy to use), and if buildbot *can* handle
junit xml format reports then it may be the path of least resistance:

     https://launchpad.net/pyjunitxml

I tried searching (both google and the buildbot docs) for ways to
generate more complete reports or to integrate junitxml with builbot,
but failed. Can you point me at anything?

All the best,

Michael