[Python-Dev] w9xpopen.exe is still in 3.2

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Mon Feb 21 07:35:28 CET 2011

> Does a modern windows installation actually even *work* if you change
> COMSPEC to command.com instead of cmd.exe? And why would anyone ever
> do that? Hey, I have a good idea: python can just ignore COMSPEC and
> always run cmd.exe. Then you can delete w9xpopen, hooray.

We have a process for that: in version 3.x, we deprecate the feature,
and in version 3.x+1, we drop support for it. Since deprecation missed
Python 3.2, we can only deprecate in 3.3, and drop in 3.4.

As for "always run cmd.exe": we can't, as it's not us who runs
cmd.exe, but the CRT (in the popen library function).

Regards,
Martin