[Python-Dev] "Some" .pyc files not ending up in __pycache__ during installation

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun Feb 20 01:41:56 CET 2011

On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 6:53 AM, Georg Brandl <g.brandl at gmx.net> wrote:
> Given that we are only hours from the final, I'm quite unwilling to
> call this a blocker, seeing that running from the .py file works well
> (and I'm not really of Antoine's opinion that that is such a big
> performance hit).

How significant the performance hit is depends on at least a few
different factors:

1. How many files are affected
2. How many files are implicitly imported when the application starts
3. How big/complicated those files
4. How long the actual "do work" part of the application takes

I expect something like "hg diff" on a small working copy would be
severely impacted if the application files for hg itself weren't
cached properly.

Cheers,
Nick.