[Python-Dev] Python Unit Tests

R. David Murray rdmurray at bitdance.com
Tue Feb 8 02:00:49 CET 2011

On Mon, 07 Feb 2011 20:38:28 -0200, Wesley Mesquita <wesleymesquita at gmail.com> wrote:
> [198/349] test_ossaudiodev
> test_ossaudiodev skipped -- [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/dev/dsp'

This is normal since you don't have a /dev/dsp.  That's what the
skip message means.

> [200/349] test_parser
> Expecting 's_push: parser stack overflow' in next line
> s_push: parser stack overflow

"Expecting" means the next message is expected.  Someone should
probably check to see if this test can (in Python3) be rewritten so that
message isn't generated, but for now it is Expected and completely
normal.

> [321/349] test_urllib2net
> /home/wesley/python_dev/python/Lib/socket.py:333: ResourceWarning: unclosed
> <socket.socket object, fd=8, family=2, type=2049, proto=6>
>   self._sock = None

There are some ResourceWarnings we haven't cured yet (the ResourceWarning is
a fairly new innovation).  I'm not sure why they don't show up when
you run the tests individually.

> 9 skips unexpected on linux2:
>     test_bz2 test_dbm_gnu test_dbm_ndbm test_readline test_ssl
>     test_tcl test_tk test_ttk_guionly test_ttk_textonly

These would be because you don't have the correct system/development
libraries installed for bz2, gnudbm, ndbm, readline, openssl,
tcl, and tk when you compiled your Python.  So, these skips are
actually expected if you don't have those libraries, but if you want
a complete development/test environment you should install the
necessary packages and recompile.

I imagine at least some of this is already covered in the dev guide
(I haven't made time to review it yet).  If any of it is unclear
to you, please provide feedback so we can improve the guide (which
is new).

--
R. David Murray                                      www.bitdance.com