[Python-Dev] devguide: Generate patches without code checkout (Was: devguide: Write a guide to committing a patch.)

anatoly techtonik techtonik at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 13:50:22 CET 2011

On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 12:27 PM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 6:33 PM, anatoly techtonik <techtonik at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Making and testing a patch from Python checkout requires compiling
>> Python, which is not possible for Windows users.
>
> That latter comment hasn't been true since Microsoft started releasing
> the Visual Studio Express editions.

"not possible" here means that practically only a very small percent
of Python users will go through the hurdles of getting code checkout,
downloading and installing Visual Studio, compiling project, switching
their code to use compiled version and finally submitting a patch.

BTW, what is the size of Mercurial clone right now?

>> We should add less
>> hardcore instructions how to use bundled diff.py for creating simple
>> patches like docstring, comment fixes or generating new testcases.
>> This will greatly reduce the barrier for starting with development.
>
> Given the length of Python's release cycles, diffs against released
> versions are far too likely to be out of date. We want diffs against
> the head of the relevant branch.

I only see that you want the contribution entry barrier to stay at the
height of core developer.

> People that can't check out and build their own version of Python are
> quite welcome to simply report issues without trying to fix them
> themselves.

But if they really want for an issue to be fixed, they will need to
think about preparing a patch. The first time they ask about plans to
fix the issue, they will be asked to send a patch anyway. This person
will look into devguide how to send a patch. There will be
instructions to download Visual Studio, clone repository, compile,
etc. I doubt this person will have time to do this, but next time the
person will think twice before reporting.