[Python-Dev] devguide: Generate patches without code checkout (Was: devguide: Write a guide to committing a patch.)

anatoly techtonik techtonik at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 09:33:05 CET 2011

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 2:35 PM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 07:14:51 +0100
> Ezio Melotti <ezio.melotti at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > +
>> > +Committing Patches
>> > +==================
> [...]
>> > +
>> > +    svnmerge.py merge -r 42
>> > +
>> > +This will try to apply the patch to the current patch and generate a
>> > commit
>
> Do we want to spend so much time explaining how to use SVN for core
> developers while we're supposed to switch to Mercurial Real Soon Now?
> (current core devs already know how to use it, and we don't get many
> new ones every month)

How about patches sent by users who track and fix bugs directly in
codebase of their Python installation?

Making and testing a patch from Python checkout requires compiling
Python, which is not possible for Windows users. We should add less
hardcore instructions how to use bundled diff.py for creating simple
patches like docstring, comment fixes or generating new testcases.
This will greatly reduce the barrier for starting with development.
--
anatoly t.