[Python-Dev] A new dict for Xmas?

Mark Shannon mark at hotpy.org
Fri Dec 16 11:03:30 CET 2011

Greg Ewing wrote:
> Mark Shannon wrote:
>
>> I have a new dict implementation which allows sharing of keys between
>> objects of the same class.
>
> We already have the __slots__ mechanism for memory savings.
> Have you done any comparisons with that?

You can't make Python programmers use slots, neither can you
automatically change existing programs.

Are you suggesting that because the __slots__ mechanism exists,
the dict implementation doesn't have to be efficient?

> Seems to me that __slots__ ought to save even more memory,
> since it eliminates the per-instance dict altogether rather
> than just the keys half of it.

Of course using __slots__ saves more memory,
but people don't use them much.

Cheers,
Mark.