[Python-Dev] Fixing the XML batteries

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Wed Dec 14 20:41:42 CET 2011

"Martin v. Löwis", 14.12.2011 19:14:
> Am 12.12.2011 10:04, schrieb Stefan Behnel:
>> "Martin v. Löwis", 11.12.2011 23:39:
>>>
>>> What do you think is the reason? It's not at all obvious to me.
>>
>> Just to repeat myself for the third time here: lack of interest.
>
> Ah, that's certainly wrong. I am interested in these libraries.

I meant: "lack of interest in improving them". It's clear from the
discussion that there are still users and that new code is still being
written that uses MiniDOM. However, I would argue that this cannot possibly
be performance critical code and that it only deals with somewhat small
documents. I say that because MiniDOM is evidently not suitable for large
documents or performance critical applications, so this is the only
explanation I have why the performance problems would not be obvious in the
cases where it is still being used. And if they do show, it appears to be
much more likely that users rewrite their code using ElementTree or lxml
than that they try to fix MiniDOM's performance issues.

Now, read my first quote above again (and preferably also its context,
which I already emphasized in a previous post), it should be clearer now.

Stefan