[Python-Dev] readd u'' literal support in 3.3?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Mon Dec 12 00:04:24 CET 2011

> Even in the plans that involve 2to3
> though, "drop everything prior to 2.6" was always supposed to be step 0,
> so "single codebase" adds much less of a burden than I thought.

Are you talking about general porting, or about Twisted?

It is a common misconception that "drop everything prior to 2.6" was
a recommended step 0 for porting to Python 3. That was never
recommended.

Instead, what *was* recommended is "port to Python 2.6", which for many
projects already supporting, say, 2.5, was a no-op, so people read more
into that than was actually necessary. With the project ported to 2.6,
you could then make use of the 3k warnings to learn what issues you
would face when porting to 3k.

Regards,
Martin