[Python-Dev] Fixing the XML batteries

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sun Dec 11 06:55:01 CET 2011

On 12/10/2011 9:25 PM, Glyph Lefkowitz wrote:
> On Dec 10, 2011, at 6:30 PM, Terry Reedy wrote:

>> A little data: the HTML5lib project lives at
>> https://code.google.com/p/html5lib/
>> It has 4 owners and 22 other committers.

If there really are 4 'owners' rather than 4 people with admin access to
the site, then there are 4 people to negotiate with.

>> The most recent release, html5lib 0.90 for Python, is nearly 2 years
>> old. Since there is a separate Python3 repository, and there is no
>> mention on Python3 compatibility elsewhere that I saw, including the
>> pypi listing, I assume that is for Python2 only.
>
> I believe that you are correct.

There are issues pointing to a 1.0 release, but I could not find any
current timetable. The project lots a bit stagnant. That does not bode
well for a commitment to future active maintenance.

>> A comment on a recent (July 11) Python3 issue
>> https://code.google.com/p/html5lib/issues/detail?id=187&colspec=ID%20Type%20Status%20Priority%20Milestone%20Owner%20Summary%20Port
>> <https://code.google.com/p/html5lib/issues/detail?id=187&colspec=ID
>> Type Status Priority Milestone Owner Summary Port>
>> suggest that the Python3 version still has problems. "Merged in now,
>> though still lots of errors and failures in the testsuite."
>
> I don't see what bearing this has on the discussion.

I think both points above show that 'absorbing HTML5Lib in the stdlib'
will involve more sociological and technical problems than doing so with
a active one-person module that already runs on 3.2. One is that the
multiple version Python 2.x codebase is the reference version and that
will not be incorporated. A serious plan will have to address the real
situation.

---
Terry Jan Reedy