[Python-Dev] Issue 13524: subprocess on Windows

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 01:16:01 CET 2011

On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 7:08 AM, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:
> My inclination would be #4 on Windows, certainly for 3.3, unless there is a
> clear reason not to.

Yes, there is: that environment is the *exact* environment that should
be passed to the child processes. It's not our place to go implicitly
adding things to it. If MS aren't willing to add SystemRoot
automatically in CreateProcess (despite releasing libraries that
require it to be set), there's no way we should be adding it for them.

Fixing our stuff (like importing the random module) to work to at
least some degree even if SystemRoot isn't set should definitely be
done, but beyond that a comment in the docs pointing out the problem
(i.e. MS releasing things that require SystemRoot be set without
updating CreateProcess to ensure that it *is* set) is as far as we
should go.

Regards,
Nick.