[Python-Dev] PEP categories (was Re: PEP 393 review)

Dirkjan Ochtman dirkjan at ochtman.nl
Mon Aug 29 18:38:23 CEST 2011

On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 18:24, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:
>>Also, this PEP makes me wonder if there should be a way to distinguish
>>between language PEPs and (CPython) implementation PEPs, by adding a
>>tag or using the PEP number ranges somehow.
>
> I've thought about this, and about a similar split between language changes
> and stdlib changes (i.e. new modules such as regex).  Probably the best thing
> to do would be to allocate some 1000's to the different categories, like we
> did for the 3xxx Python 3k PEPS (now largely moot though).

Allocating 1000's seems sensible enough to me.

And yes, the division between recents 3x and non-3x PEPs seems quite arbitrary.

Cheers,

Dirkjan

P.S. Perhaps the index could list accepted and open PEPs before meta
and informational? And maybe reverse the order under some headings,
for example in the finished category...