[Python-Dev] LZMA compression support in 3.3

Nadeem Vawda nadeem.vawda at gmail.com
Sat Aug 27 15:47:45 CEST 2011

Hello all,

I'd like to propose the addition of a new module in Python 3.3. The 'lzma'
module will provide support for compression and decompression using the LZMA
algorithm, and the .xz and .lzma file formats. The matter has already been
discussed on the tracker <http://bugs.python.org/issue6715>, where there seems
to be a consensus that this is a desirable feature. What are your thoughts?

The proposed module's API will be very similar to that of the bz2 module;
the only differences will be additional keyword arguments to some functions,
for specifying container formats and detailed compressor options.

The implementation will also be similar to bz2 - basic compressor and
decompressor classes written in C, with convenience functions and a file
interface implemented on top of those in Python.

I've already done some work on the C parts of the module; I'll push that to my
sandbox <http://hg.python.org/sandbox/nvawda/> in the next day or two.

Cheers,
Nadeem