[Python-Dev] Should we move to replace re with regex?

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Sat Aug 27 03:56:02 CEST 2011

On Sat, 27 Aug 2011 04:37:21 +0300
Ezio Melotti <ezio.melotti at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm not sure it's worth doing an extensive review of the code, a better
> approach might be to require extensive test coverage  (and a review of
> tests).  If the code seems well written, commented, documented (I think
> proper rst documentation is still missing),

Isn't this precisely what a review is supposed to assess?

> We will get familiar with the code once we start contributing
> to it and fixing bugs, as it already happens with most of the other modules.

I'm not sure it's a good idea for a module with more than 10000 lines
of C code (and 4000 lines of pure Python code). This is several times
the size of multiprocessing. The C code looks very cleanly written, but
it's still a big chunk of algorithmically sophisticated code.

Another "interesting" question is whether it's easy to port to the PEP
393 string representation, if it gets accepted.

Regards

Antoine.