[Python-Dev] Should we move to replace re with regex?

Dan Stromberg drsalists at gmail.com
Sat Aug 27 00:48:42 CEST 2011

On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 2:45 PM, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:

> ...but on second thought I wonder if maybe regex is
> mature enough to replace re in Python 3.3.

I agree that the move from regex to re was kind of painful.

It seems someone should merge the unit tests for re and regex, and apply the
merged result to each for the sake of comparison.  There might also be a
need to expand the merged result to include new things.

Then there probably should be a from __future__ import for a while.