[Python-Dev] PEP 393 Summer of Code Project

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Fri Aug 26 01:10:02 CEST 2011

[Apologies for sending out a long stream of pointed responses, written
before I have fully digested this entire mega-thread. I don't have the
patience today to collect them all into a single mega-response.]

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 10:45 AM, Victor Stinner
<victor.stinner at haypocalc.com> wrote:
> Note: Java and the Qt library use also UTF-16 strings and have exactly the
> same "limitations" for str[n] and len(str).

Which reminds me. The PEP does not say what other Python
implementations besides CPython should do. presumably Jython and
IronPython will continue to use UTF-16, so presumably the language
reference will still have to document that strings contain code units
(not code points) and the objections Tom Christiansen raised against
this will remain true for those versions of Python. (I don't know
about PyPy, they can presumably decide when they start their Py3k
port.)

OTOH perhaps IronPython 3.3 and Jython 3.3 can use a similar approach
and we can lay the narrow build issues to rest? Can someone here speak
for them?

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)