[Python-Dev] FileSystemError or FilesystemError?

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Wed Aug 24 10:54:48 CEST 2011

On 24Aug2011 12:31, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
| On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 5:19 AM, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> wrote:
| > Antoine Pitrou wrote:
| >> When reviewing the PEP 3151 implementation (*), Ezio commented that
| >> "FileSystemError" looks a bit strange and that "FilesystemError" would
| >> be a better spelling. What is your opinion?
| >
| > It's a file system (two words), not filesystem (not in any dictionary or
| > spell checker I've ever used).
|
| I rarely find spell checkers to be useful sources of data on correct
| spelling of technical jargon (and the computing usage of the term
| 'filesystem' definitely qualifies as jargon).
|
| > (Nor do we write filingsystem, governmentsystem, politicalsystem or
| > schoolsystem. This is English, not German.)
|
| Personally, I think 'filesystem' is a portmanteau in the process of
| coming into existence (as evidenced by usage like 'FHS' standing for
| 'Filesystem Hierarchy Standard'). However, the two word form is still
| useful at times, particularly for disambiguation of acronyms (as
| evidenced by usage like 'NFS' and 'GFS' for 'Network File System' and
| 'Google File System').

Funny, I thought NFS stood for Not a File System :-)

| Since I tend to use the one word 'filesystem' form myself (ditto for
| 'filename'), I'm +1 for FilesystemError, but I'm only -0 for
| FileSystemError (so I expect that will be the option chosen, given
| other responses).

I also use "filesystem" as a one word piece of jargon, but I am
persuaded by the language arguments. So I'm +1 for FileSystemError.

Cheers,
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

Bolts get me through times of no courage better than courage gets me
through times of no bolts!
        - Eric Hirst <eric at u.washington.edu>