[Python-Dev] Sphinx version for Python 2.x docs

Sandro Tosi sandro.tosi at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 01:09:28 CEST 2011

Hi all,

> Any chance the version of sphinx used to generate the docs on
> docs.python.org could be updated?

I'd like to discuss this aspect, in particular for the implication it
has on http://bugs.python.org/issue12409 .

Personally, I do think it has a value to have the same set of tools to
build the Python documentation of the currently active branches.
Currently, only 2.7 is different, since it still fetches (from
svn.python.org... can we fix this too? suggestions welcome!) sphinx
0.6.7 while 3.2/3.3 uses 1.0.7.

If you're worried about the time needed to convert the actual 2.7 doc
to new sphinx format and all the related changes, I volunteer to do
the job (and/or collaborate with whom is already on it), but what I
want to understand if it's an acceptable change.

I see sphinx more as of an internal, building tool, so freezing it
it's like saying "don't upgrade gcc" or so. Now the delta is just the
C functions definitions and some py-specific roles, but during the
years it will increase. Keeping it small, simplifying the forward-port
of doc patches (not needing to have 2 version between 2.7 and 3.x
f.e.) and having a common set of tools for doc building is worth IMHO.

What do you think about it? and yes Georg, I'd like to hear your opinion too :)

Cheers,