[Python-Dev] [PEPs] Rebooting PEP 394 (aka Support the /usr/bin/python2 symlink upstream)

R. David Murray rdmurray at bitdance.com
Fri Aug 12 19:34:49 CEST 2011

On Fri, 12 Aug 2011 12:19:23 -0400, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:
> On Aug 12, 2011, at 01:10 PM, Nick Coghlan wrote:
> >1. Accept the reality of that situation, and propose a mechanism that
> >minimises the impact of the resulting ambiguity on end users of Python
> >by allowing developers to be explicit about their target language.
> >This is the approach advocated in PEP 394.
> >
> >2. Tell the Arch developers (and anyone else inclined to point the
> >python name at python3) that they're wrong, and the python symlink
> >should, now and forever, always refer to a version of Python 2.x.
>
> FWIW, although I generally support the PEP, I also think that distros
> themselves have a responsibility to ensure their #! lines are correct, for
> scripts they install.  Meaning, if it requires rewriting the #! line on OS
> package install, so be it.

True, but I think that is orthogonal to the purposes of the PEP, which
is about supporting writing of system independent scripts that are *not*
provided by the distribution (or installed via packaging).  And PEP 397
aims to extend that to Windows, as well.

--
R. David Murray           http://www.bitdance.com