[Python-Dev] GIL removal question

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Tue Aug 9 16:11:07 CEST 2011

Марк Коренберг, 09.08.2011 11:31:
> In a summary: Please say clearly why, actually, my variant is not
> still implemented.

This question comes up on the different Python lists every once in a while.
In general, if you want something to be implemented in a specific way, feel
free to provide the implementation.

There were several attempts to remove the GIL from the interpreter, you can
look them up in the archives of this mailing list. They all failed to
provide competitive performance, especially for the single-threaded case,
and were therefore deemed inappropriate "solutions" to the "problem".

Note that I put "problem" into quotes, simply because it is controversial
if the GIL actually *is* a problem. This question has also been discussed
and rediscussed in great length on the different Python lists.

Stefan