[Python-Dev] Socket servers in the test suite

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Apr 29 18:09:40 CEST 2011

[Georg]
> > BTW, didn't we agree not to put "pragma" comments into the stdlib code?

I'd be grateful for a link to the prior discussion - it must have passed me by
originally, and I searched python-dev on gmane but couldn't find any threads
about this.

[Nick]
> I think some folks objected, but since they're essential to keeping
> track of progress in code coverage improvement efforts, there wasn't a
> consensus to leave them out. The pragmas themselves are easy enough to
> grep for, so it isn't like they don't leave a record of which lines
> may not be getting tested.

Yes - in theory the pragmas can give a false idea about coverage, but in
practice they help increase the signal-to-noise ratio. As maintainer of a
module, one'd only be kidding oneself by adding pragmas willy-nilly. The
coverage reports are up-front about telling you how many lines were excluded,
both in the summary HTML pages and the drill-downs HTML pages for individual
modules.

BTW, is there a public place somewhere showing stdlib coverage statistics? I
looked on the buildbot pages as the likeliest home for them, but perhaps I
missed them.

Regards,

Vinay Sajip