[Python-Dev] python and super

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Fri Apr 15 02:58:14 CEST 2011

P.J. Eby wrote:

> It's perfectly sensible and useful for there to be classes that
> intentionally fail to call super(), and yet have a subclass that wants
> to use super().

One such case is where someone is using super() in a
single-inheritance environment as a way of not having to
write the base class name explicitly into calls to base
methods. (I wouldn't recommend using super() that way
myself, but some people do.) In that situation, any failure
to call super() is almost certainly deliberate.

--
Greg