[Python-Dev] Supporting Visual Studio 2010

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Tue Apr 5 00:43:29 CEST 2011

On 04/04/2011 23:21, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
> On Mon, 04 Apr 2011 23:40:33 +0200
> "Martin v. Löwis"<martin at v.loewis.de>  wrote:
>> - users have expressed concerns that they constantly need to upgrade
>>    VS releases when developing for Python.
> Isn't that kind of a misguided argument? It's not Python who decides the
> lifecycle of MSVC releases, it's Microsoft. We can't be blamed for the
> churn.
>
> If getting old (Microsoft-unsupported) MSVC releases is difficult, then
> I think switching to the newest MSVC as soon as possible is the best
> strategy, since it minimizes the annoyance for people wanting to build
> extensions several years after a release is made.

Won't that still be an issue despite the stable ABI? Extensions on
Windows should be linked to the same version of MSVCRT used to compile
Python - and every time we switch version of Visual Studio it is usually
accompanied by a switch in MSVCRT version. So for C extensions compiled
with a specific version of Python will need to be recompiled for later
versions of Python, even if they only use the stable ABI, if the newer
version of Python is compiled against a different MSVCRT. (?)

This would seem to circumvent one of the core use-cases of the stable
ABI which was not needing to recompile extensions for new versions of
Python. Of course I could be completely wrong about all this.

All the best,

Michael