[Python-Dev] We should be using a tool for code reviews

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Wed Sep 29 23:21:16 CEST 2010

On Wed, 29 Sep 2010 13:56:46 -0700
Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 13:31, Alexander Belopolsky
> <alexander.belopolsky at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 4:23 PM, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
> > ..
> >> But maybe with Hg it's less of a burden to ask people to use a checkout.
> >>

> > I thought with Hg it would be more of a burden for casual contributors
> > to use a checkout simply because the checkout is many times bigger.
>
> Many times bigger than what? If you mean svn that's not true (the eval
> of the DVCS pegged Hg at only 50% larger than svn). If you mean
> compared to the tar.bz2 file, then sure, but a zip of an Hg checkout
> is under 50 MB which is less than 5x larger.

The disk footprint is not very much larger, but I assume that the
amount of bandwidth needed for a first checkout can easily be 10x or
50x.
(then, if you keep the checkout around, pulling new revisions is very
efficient)

That said, it seems there are tools to optimize the internal structures
of an hg repository so that it takes less disk space (and therefore
less checkout bandwidth). I don't know whether Dirkjan intends to use
that.

Regards

Antoine.