[Python-Dev] We should be using a tool for code reviews

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Wed Sep 29 22:32:43 CEST 2010

> > Well, I would assume people are working from a checkout. Patches from
> > an outdated checkout simply would fail and that's fine by me.
>
> Ok, but that's an extra barrier for contributions. Lots of people when
> asked for a patch just modify their distro in place and you can count
> yourself lucky if they send you a diff from a clean copy.

Well, either they're doing a small patch and uploading to Rietveld
doesn't bring much anyway; or they're doing a large patch and it may not
apply cleanly if they do it against the stable release.

So I don't think there's a real problem here.

> I used to get these frequently. I don't know what the experience of
> the current crop of core developers is though, so maybe my gut
> feelings here are outdated.

Most patches posted on the tracker are generated either by "SVN diff" or
a DCVS equivalent (often hg).

Regards

Antoine.