[Python-Dev] Atlassian and bitbucket merge

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Wed Sep 29 16:43:46 CEST 2010

On Sep 28, 2010, at 09:13 PM, Steve Holden wrote:

>I see that Atlassian have just taken over BitBucket, the Mercurial
>hosting company. IIRC Atlassian offered to host our issue tracking on
>JIRA, but in the end we decided to eat our own dog food and went with
>roundup.

I was an advocate for JIRA at the time, and I think Atlassian is a fine
organization with true fans of open source, but we have made a decision to
manage our services ourselves, and I think until it's proven that we can't
keep up, we should manage our source code repository.  It's one of our most
valuable assets, if not *the* most valuable asset.

The beauty of dvcs of course is that we can have mirrors all over the place.
But I certainly feel more comfortable with the official repository on our
servers, with our admins in complete control.

Do we expect Mercurial to require more, less, or about the same amount of
babysitting as the current Subversion repository?  I would think no more and
Subversion hasn't been much of a problem.

-Barry