[Python-Dev] issue2180 and using 'tokenize' with Python 3 'str's

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Tue Sep 28 13:55:25 CEST 2010

On 28 September 2010 12:29, Michael Foord <fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk> wrote:

>  On 28/09/2010 12:19, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 23:45:45 -0400
>> Steve Holden<steve at holdenweb.com>  wrote:

>> I agree, the morality of bytes objects could have been better :)
>>
>>  The reason for working with bytes is that source data can only be
> correctly decoded to text once the encoding is known. The encoding is
> determined by reading the encoding cookie.
>
> I certainly wouldn't be opposed to an API that accepts a string as well
> though.

Ah, and to explain the design decision when tokenize was ported to py3k -
the Python 2 APIs take the readline method of a file object (not a string).

http://docs.python.org/library/tokenize.html

For this to work correctly in Python 3 it *has* to be a file object open in
binary read mode in order to decode the source code correctly.

A new API that takes a string would certainly be nice. The Python 2 API for
tokenize is 'interesting'...

All the best,

Michael Foord

--