[Python-Dev] Python wiki

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Fri Sep 24 00:27:39 CEST 2010

On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 4:52 AM,  <skip at pobox.com> wrote:

>    Antoine> Given that few or none of us seem to (want to) actively
>    Antoine> contribute to the wiki, I'm afraid python-dev is not the place
>    Antoine> to ask.  Perhaps a call should be issued on c.l.py ...
>
> It would be nice if you could actually send messages to the people who do
> actually update wiki content.  Unfortunately, without donning my cape and
> blue tights, then digging into the users files on the wiki there's no real
> way to do that.

That's a good point actually... why *isn't* there a pydotorg-wiki-sig?
(Aside from the obvious point of nobody ever asking for one).

I must admit, that the various things I've thrown on there myself have
been pretty much fire-and-forget. Without anyone that feels like they
collectively "own" the wiki, the much needed pruning never happens.

With an admin team behind it, you can also make more use of ACLs to
flag certain parts of the wiki as "official" by making them only
editable by certain people (e.g. only devs, only the triage team, only
the wiki admins). But keeping those user lists up to date is itself
something that requires a strong wiki admin team.

Cheers,
Nick.