[Python-Dev] Goodbye

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Thu Sep 23 20:12:08 CEST 2010

On 9/23/2010 1:44 PM, Terry Reedy wrote:
> On 9/23/2010 8:11 AM, "Martin v. Löwis" wrote:
>>> make sure the issue is assigned to the right person if appropriate
>>
>> -1. We typically don't assign issues to others.
>
> What I and Mark (that I know of) did in that respect was to assign doc
> issues, including old issues reclassified as doc issues, to docs at python.
>

>>> add relevant keywords to make it easier to find in searches
>>
>> -0. Going through old issues just to make sure the keywords are right
>> seems wasteful.
>
>>> ensure other fields in the tracker are filled in correctly
>>
>> Likewise.
>
> I am guessing that you have never done professional database management.
> And I suspect you would not be temperamentally suited to such. To repeat
> what I said in another post, if it does not matter how a field is set,
> it should not be there.
>
> You seem really antagonistic to, or at least dismissive of, people who
> contribute in ways other than how you do. That strikes me as unhelpful.

And before this descends into a general discussion of various people's
approach to collaboration, let me remind us all that it does indeed
"take all sorts to make a world".

>From what I have seen on this list, nobody has suggested that Mark's
work was *all* unhelpful. The fact that he can be difficult to work with
doesn't remove the value of much of the work he was doing, and I am
happy to note that there doesn't seem to be any blanket verdict that
Mark should never have tracker privileges again.

Mark courageously admitted on this list to having personal problems to
overcome. That made me, at least, more sympathetic to his case, and more
tolerant of his foibles and style of communication. I appreciate that a
disruptive team member might eventually have to be isolated for the good
of the team, but I am sorry to note that it came to that in Mark's case,
and I hope that eventually he can return to the fold somehow.

regards
 Steve
DjangoCon US September 7-9, 2010    http://djangocon.us/
See Python Video!       http://python.mirocommunity.org/