[Python-Dev] Moving the developer docs?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Thu Sep 23 17:42:03 CEST 2010

> There's no reason it *has* to be useless though.  The Moin developer now has
> shell access, so if there are technical problems with wiki, like its theme,
> performance, or lack of features, we can get those fixed.  If it's the content
> or organization that needs improvement, then we can recruit from the much
> larger Python community than those that have write access to the core svn.
> Let's honor and encourage folks who are really good at tending to wikis and
> give them the tools they need to make the wiki excellent.
>
> Of course, if the consensus is that wikis are just a waste of time and do more
> harm than good, then we should shut ours down.  (I don't agree it is though.)

I don't think there is (or can be) consensus about that. However,
Jesse's objection is fairly widespread also, and it is not specific
for wiki.python.org, or MoinMoin, but opposing Wikis as general.

By nature (quick-quick), information is unorganized in a Wiki. This is
what wiki advocates cite as its main feature, and wiki opponents as its
main flaw.

Regards,
Martin