[Python-Dev] (Not) delaying the 3.2 release

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Fri Sep 17 04:30:24 CEST 2010

On 9/16/2010 3:07 PM, Jacob Kaplan-Moss wrote:

>>> Why not? Since the I/O speed problem is fixed, I have no idea what you are
>>> referring to.  Please do be concrete.

> Deploying web apps under Python 2 right now is actually pretty
> awesome. ...

And will remain so for years.

> The key here is that switching between all of these deployment
> situations is *incredibly* easy. ...

> Python 3 offers me none of this. I don't have a wide variety of tools
> to choose from. Worse, I don't even have a guarantee of
> interoperability between the tools that *do* exist.

That last needs an updated standard, which may require a bit of nudging
to get agreement on *something*, along with an updated reference
implementation. I would expect a usable variety of production
implementations to gradually follow thereafter, as they have for 2.x.

> I'm sorry if I'm coming across as a complainer here.

No. You answered my question quite well.

--
Terry Jan Reedy