[Python-Dev] Rework nntlib?

geremy condra debatem1 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 20:30:43 CEST 2010

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 11:02 AM, Jesse Noller <jnoller at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 1:48 PM, Devin Cook <devin.c.cook at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 11:37 AM, Jesse Noller <jnoller at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> You need people with the time and willingness to download, install and
>>> run production code on the releases.
>>
>> This might be getting off-topic, but maybe not as many people as you
>> think. How many projects in pypi provide unittests? That's at least
>> more tests to add to the ones already being run in the stdlib.
>>
>> -Devin
>>

> And who do you get to maintain all the new tests and buildbots you
> spawn from running hundreds of community projects unittests? How do
> you know those tests are real, and actually work? You quickly outstrip
> the ability of the core team to stay on top of it, and you run into
> issues in the past akin to the community build bots project.
>
> jesse

Obviously information overload can be an issue, but ISTM that having
projects opt-in for testing with new builds would give the core team
some potentially useful feedback in the event that they needed it.
Since pypi also has download statistics, it might help to figure out
relative importance of different problems. Having said that, I'm only
volunteering firepower, so don't interpret this as trying to push this
on you guys if you don't want it.

Geremy Condra