[Python-Dev] Rework nntlib?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 15:52:05 CEST 2010

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 9:57 AM, Steve Holden <steve at holdenweb.com> wrote:
> And again I say, if anyone knows of any budgets to which this work is
> important, the PSF will be happy to try and tap these people for money
> that can help the development effort. Frankly I am a little embarrassed
> by the poor quality of some library code.
>
> I think it shows that the "rush to release" which might not have been in
> Python's best short-term interests, even though actually getting it out
> the door was a significant occurrence for the long term..

I'm not sure we would ever have realised the full implications of the
bytes/str split without pushing 3.0 out the door when we did. And it
was the early feedback on 3.0 that showed 3.1 really was necessary to
deal with the I/O performance issue.

I agree the current state of things is not ideal, but I don't think
it's a given waiting longer to release 3.x would have actually helped
anything (and there is already code out there showing that, so long as
you don't need the modules with bytes/unicode issues, Python 3 is very
usable).

Cheers,
Nick.