[Python-Dev] r84775 - peps/trunk/pep-3149.txt

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Mon Sep 13 17:30:10 CEST 2010

On Sep 13, 2010, at 05:04 PM, Antoine Pitrou wrote:

>On Mon, 13 Sep 2010 10:55:16 -0400
>Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:
>> >
>> >Are these the default paths? The PEP doesn't say how a distribution
>> >is supposed to choose its PEP 3149 filesystem layout (instead of
>> >/usr/lib/python3.2/site-packages).
>>
>> Why should it?  Distributions are going to make their own decisions
>> independent of the PEP.  That's why s/would/might/ in the above
>> change.  I'm open to suggestions for better ways to explain it.
>
>I meant how these decisions are implemented. Is there a configure
>switch (there doesn't seem to be)? Does it require patching Python?

Ah, no.  Standard configure switches are used.  Debian (inherited by Ubuntu)
has a post-installation script for Python packages which create the .py
symlinks and do the byte-compilation.  The big win here is that much of this
can go away now (and in fact there are modifications to this post-installation
script already).

-Barry