[Python-Dev] PEP 3149 thoughts

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Sep 12 16:10:40 CEST 2010

> I only mandated ./configure-based builds to be PEP 3149 conforming.  I have no
> objection to expanding the PEP to include Windows builds, but I'm not sure
> it's necessary and it would take a Windows build expert to make and test those
> changes.
>
> Does PEP 3149 have any advantage for Windows installations?

I think this is resolved by now, responding anyway:

I don't see any immediate advantage. The problem that the PEP addresses
typically doesn't exist on Windows.

>> 2. Why does the PEP recommend installing stuff
>> into /usr/share/pyshared?
>
> It's just a suggestion, but as it turns out, probably an incorrect one.  I'll
> rephrase this to make it clear that it's up to the distribution as to where
> exactly these files get installed.  Nothing about this PEP changes the default
> from-source installation directory.

Is the rephrasing done already?

I still wonder why you suggest /usr/share should be used, when the FHS
says it should be /usr/lib. This keeps confusing me, despite not being
part of the specification.

Regards,
Martin